Crown of Shadows
The elves are more like the elder fey than any of the other fey races of Eredane, both physically and culturally. They are a slight race, lithe, quick, and agile. They are all children of nature, and even with their ancient culture and powerful magic, they still live close to the wilds as part of the Great Forest. They are a unified people, allied not only to tribes or family groups but instead to a single royal line that rules over all of Erethor. The racial devotion to their High Queen Aradil is akin to worship, and though there is a large and powerful Council of the Throne, it seldom opposes Aradil’s will. Despite this greater shared history and culture, there remain various subraces of elvenkind, each with its own unique physical traits and ways of life.
Universal Elven Racial Traits
Regardless of their subrace, all elves share the following racial traits:
• +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution and a +2 to any one mental ability score: Elves are nimble, both in body and mind, but are somewhat slight of build.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Normal Speed: Elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
• Weapon Proficiency: All elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longbow and shortbow (including composite bows) as bonus feats. The elves practice archery for hunting, entertainment, and defense.
• Favored Region: Erethor.
• Natural Channelers: All elves have a natural facility with magic. They may cast cantrips as if they had the Magecraft feat, treating the effects as innate magic rather than channeled magic, and those who gain the Magecraft feat have 2 bonus spell energy points.
• Low-light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
• Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
• Woodland Folk: Elves receive a +4 racial bonus on Climb and Acrobatics checks when climbing trees. Elves are at home in the trees.
• Last of the Free: All elves may begin play with elven traveling clothes, erethor tea, and hearthstones (at one-quarter normal cost).